Steven M. LevinFounder and Senior Partner
Steven M. Levin, co-founder and senior partner of Levin & Perconti, is a nationally known attorney who has successfully represented clients in personal injury matters for over thirty years. In 1992, he and John Perconti founded the firm and our lawyers have achieved over $520 million for clients, including over $140 million in nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
Steve has obtained numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients in a variety of nursing home, medical malpractice, personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- $17.7 million settlement on behalf of an injured police officer who sustained a serious brain injury due to nursing staff negligence in a Chicago hospital.
- $7 million verdict in a medical negligence suit against a doctor who failed to diagnose our client’s postpartum bleeding, resulting in her death.
- $6.7 million verdict in a birth injury lawsuit against a hospital involving a birth injury lawsuit.
- $5.7 million workplace injury settlement for a 27-year-old roofer who was injured on the job.
- $2.9 million Cook County record nursing home neglect verdict in a pressure sore case.
Pioneering Nursing Home LitigationSteve was among the first attorneys in the country to handle nursing home cases, and has established a reputation as one of the country’s top litigators in the area of nursing home litigation. He has advocated on behalf of hundreds of nursing home residents who have been victimized by improper care and treatment, achieving record-setting verdicts and settlements in these cases.
More importantly, Steve’s vigilance in representing victims in nursing home negligence lawsuits has brought national attention to this rampant and unacceptable problem, sending a message that mistreatment of one of society’s most vulnerable groups will not go unnoticed.
To read more about Steve's early career and his role in shaping nursing home litigation, click here .
Steve was recently listed in the Illinois: The Top 100 list in the February 2015 issue of Chicago Magazine, a listing of the attorneys who ranked at the top of the Illinois Super Lawyers nomination, research and review process. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer every year since 2005.
Steve has been honored by the Martindale-Hubbell American Law Directory, and awarded their “AV” rating for his legal abilities and very high ethical standards and The National Trial Lawyers, an organization composed of The Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state. The Litigation Counsel of America also selected him as a Fellow of the organization.
In October 2012, Steve received an award for Trial Lawyer Excellence for the Highest Reported Illinois Verdict in a Nursing Home Malpractice case . The award was presented by the Jury Verdict Reporter, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Co. To view the announcement that appeared in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin on October 23, 2012, click here .
As a Chicago medical malpractice lawyer , Steve is dedicated to helping people who have been injured, or the families of people killed, because of someone else’s mistakes or improper conduct. He stands by the belief that lawsuits not only bring relief to injured victims, but also motivate healthcare providers, businesses and manufacturers to make systemic changes to provide better care, service, and safer products.
Steve and his wife, Marsha, reside in Chicago and have four grown children and ten grandchildren.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1976
Loyola University School of Law Review, Lead Article Editor
Awarded for highest grade point average
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeIllinois, 1976
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1976
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1976
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
American Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Current or Past member of numerous professional and civic organizations including:
- American Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- The National Trial Lawyers (formerly known as The American Trial Lawyers Association
- American Constitution Society Chicago Lawyer Chapter (Board of Advisors)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care's Leadership Council
- Decalogue Society
- The Society of Trial Lawyers (Secretary)
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform and its "Committee of 20"
- Advisory Committee of Illinois Citizens for Better Care
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (Steering Committee)
- Attorney General of Illinois' Task Force on Nursing Homes
- City of Chicago Committee on Nursing Homes
- Chicago Department on Aging Ombudsman Advisory Counsel
- American Trial Lawyers Association Nursing Home Litigation Group (co-chair)
- Board of Advisors for the Nursing Home Litigation Reporter
- American Trial Lawyers Association Birth Injury Litigation Group
- The American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section (Vice Chair, Medicine & Law Committee)
- The American Jewish Committee Human Relations Award Dinner (Vice Chairman)
- Highland Park Zoning Board of Appeals (Member and Chairman for 13 years)
- Ad Hoc Committee on Amusement Tax on Ravinia Park
Illinois Super Lawyer
Member Since: 2005
Top 100 in Illinois in 2013, 2014, 2015
Illinois Leading Lawyers
Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 100 Attorneys-2013
The Best Lawyers in America®
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Steve Levin is an experienced and highly sought-after speaker who frequently addresses audiences around the country on personal injury and wrongful death litigation matters. He is particularly renowned for his knowledge and insights on topics related to trial techniques and nursing home abuse and neglect. His presentations include:
- American Association for Justice, "Sexual Abuse of Residents in Nursing Home Facilities" February 29, 2016. Boca Raton, FL.
- Women of the Section of Litigation Leading Litigating, and Connecting, "Presumed Defective: the Impact of the Malfunction Theory on Products Cases," WOTSOL Seminar, November 12, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Strafford Publications, "Nursing Home Injury Litigation: Evaluating Common Claims, Reviewing Medical Records, and Assessing Damages," Webinar, September 30, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, Feb 6, 2015, Chicago.
- The American College of Wound Healing and Tissue Repair, "Plaintiff and Defense Points of View on Recent Wound Care Topics," ACWHTR Annual Meeting. December 5, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- The National Conference of Jewish Lawyers, Taking Doctors to Task: The Ethics of Medical Malpractice Lawsuits, National Jewish Retreat, August 6, 2014, Chicago.
- The American College of Wound Healing and Tissue Repair, "Wound Care and the Law: Liability and Other Issues for the Practicing Wound Care Clinician," ACWHTR Annual Meeting. December 6, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- American Association for Justice, Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar: From Case Selection to Trial. May 9, 2013. Boston, MA.
- IICLE, Advanced Evidentiary Issues at Trial. January 25, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Circuit Court of Cook County Lunchtime Seminar Series. “Voir Dire: Legal & Strategic Issues,” December 17, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- American Association for Justice. “Research Strategies for Expert Depositions and Trial Preparation in Nursing Home Cases,” AAJ 2012 Annual Convention. July 30, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- American Association for Justice, Nursing Home College: Depositions. May 10, 2012. Washington, DC.
- New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. Winning Your Case Through Depositions. April 26, 2012, Atlantic City, NJ.
- The John Marshall Law School, Personal injury in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. April 2, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Deposing Adverse Parties and Expert Witnesses. Pretrial Preparation in Civil Practice. March 23, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Nursing Home Litigation for the Elder Law Practitioner. Elder Law Practice in the Circuit Court of Cook County. March 23, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Governor's Conference on Aging. Protecting Residents' Rights Through Litigation. December 8, 2011, Chicago, IL.
- National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care Annual Conference. Using the Law to Advocate for Residents of Long-Term Care. October 26, 2011, Grand Rapids, MI.
- American Association for Justice Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar. Exposing and Understanding Juror Attitudes. October 14, 2011, Las Vegas, NV.
- 6th Annual Elder Law Short Course. Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation on Behalf of Older Americans and Long Term Care Residents. November 16, 2010, Lisle, IL.
- National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care Annual Conference. Protecting Residents' Rights Through Litigation. October 20, 2010, Orlando, FL.
- Illinois Pioneer Coalition Conference. Using the Legal System to Incite Change in Nursing Homes. October 12, 2010, Springfield, IL.
- New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. Co-Opting the Defense Through Depositions. April 22, 2010, Atlantic City, NJ.
- Community Renewal Society Senior Action Network Luncheon Advocating for Friends and Loved Ones in Long-Term Care. Greater Walters Church, April 15, 2010, Chicago, IL.
- Culture Change Coalition of Peoria Understanding Nursing Home Laws: The Law’s Role in Protecting and Compensating Victims of Abuse and Neglect Illinois Central College, March 4, 2010, Peoria, IL.
- Vernon Park Church of God's Senior Council Meeting. How to Protect and Advocate for Your Loved One in a Nursing Home Setting. Vernon Park Church of God, January 16, 2010, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyer's Section Criminal Law/Torts Committee Meeting. Nursing Home Litigation: Doing Well by Doing Good. November 20, 2009, Chicago, IL.
- American Association for Justice Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar. Moving from Medical Malpractice to Nursing Home- Differences to Watch For. October 17, 2009, Chicago,IL.
- New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. The Windy City Comes to Jersey: Using Midwest Sensibilities to Deal with the Conservative Juror. April 23, 2009, Atlantic City, NJ.
- DePaul University School of Law Elder Law Class. Understanding Nursing Home Litigation. March 31, 2009, Chicago, IL.
- NAELA Illinois Chapter Meeting. Protecting the Rights of Elderly Clients in Personal Injury Matters. March 13, 2009, Chicago, IL.
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS). Perspectives on Discovery and Long-Term Care from Both Sides of the Bar. Sears Tower Oak Room, September 7, 2008, Chicago, IL.
- American Constitution Society for Law and Policy: Safeguarding Our Seniors: Perspectives on Elder Law and Nursing Home Litigation. Ungaretti & Harris LLP, June 19, 2008, Chicago, IL.
- NAELA Telephonic Conference on Advocacy and Litigation. Topics in Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Litigation. June 25, 2008.
- JAMS: Nursing Home Litigation, Insurance and Beyond. JAMS Resolution Center, June 6, 2008, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Long Term Care Ombudsman Program. How to spot signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse and neglect. May 2008, Arlington Heights, IL.
- Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago; Quarterly Vounteer Ombudsmen Meeting. Discussion on Advocating for Nursing Home Residents, Identifying Nursing Home Abuse, and Defending Residents' Rights. Arlington Heights Senior Center, April 16, 2008, Arlington Heights, IL.
- North Shore Senior Center Men's Club. Nursing Home Abuse: How to make sure your loved one is not a victim. North Shore Senior Center, January 15, 2008, Northfield, IL.
- American Association for Justice - Nursing Home Litigation Group. Rules of the Road: Nursing Home Cases Hyatt Regency, July 16, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- Boulevard Healthcare LLC's Medical Director's Meeting. "Litigation in Long Term Care: The Emerging Storm." May 22, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- Guardianship and Advocacy Committee of Illinois - Annual Meeting. "Long Term Care Abuse and Neglect: When is legal action appropriate?" May 9, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- American Geriatrics Society - Annual Meeting. "Litigation in Long Term Care." May 3, 2007, Seattle, WA.
- ITLA -Top Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know. "Top Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Depositions." Hilton Suites Chicago, March 31, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- Loyola Summer Institute on Aging. "The Nature, Extent, and Impact of Abuse and Neglect by Staff at Residential Facilities and How to Advocate on Behalf of a Resident." Loyola University School of Law, August 16, 2006, Chicago, IL.
- ATLA - Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Closing Arguments - Tying it All Together" Washington State and Trade Center , July 17, 2006, Seattle WA.
- Illinois Long Term Care Ombudsman Program Statewide Training Conference. "Empowering the Ombudsman - Advocacy Suggestions," March 29, 2006 Bloomington, IL.
- ATLA Education and ATLA's Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Litigating Nursing Home Cases: Rising to New Challenges / Nursing Home Falls - Not Your Average Slip & Fall Cases," Hyatt Regency, September 30, 2005, Albuquerque, NM.
- ATLA 2005 Annual Convention. Nursing Home Litigation Group Lecture and Demonstration: "Opening Statements in a Nursing Home Case," July 24, 2005, Toronto Canada.
- Mealey's Nursing Home Litigation Conference, Speaker, June 9 Injury Litigation Professionals Need to Know," April 24, 2003.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of American, National College of Advocacy. Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar: “Deposing Home Employees,” Sheridan Yankee Trader Hotel, March 19, 2004, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. (Transcript)
Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Seminar. "Successful Plaintiff's Nursing Home Litigation," ISTA Conference Center, June 14, 2002, Indianapolis, IN
- Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar. "The Secrets to Discovering Elder Abuse: Where is the Smoking Gun," Ritz Carlton, March 14-15, 2002, New Orleans, LA.
- The Decalogue Society Legal Lecture Series. "Secrets of Winning the Nursing Home Case," March 6, 2002, Chicago, IL.
- Speaker at the ATLA tele-seminar,Winning Arguments for Punitive Damage/ Why Nursing Homes are Ripe for Punitive Damages - January 23, 2002.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar. "Practicing with the Best & Avoiding the Rest Seminar: Jury Selection, Focus Groups," Westin Hotel, October 8, 2001, Chicago, IL.
- National College of Advocacy. "Maximizing damages and defeating the defense argument for limited damages," Four Points Sheraton Phoenix Metrocenter, October 6, 2001, Phoenix , AZ.
- The 26th Annual Meeting of the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform. Moderator of program "Creative Lawyering and Advocacy: Tort Reform," September 28 - October 3, 2001, Arlington, VA.
- The Indiana Trial Lawyers - "The Elder Law Seminar: From a Tort Prospective." "Distinguishing Nursing Home Litigation from other Tort Cases," ISTAConference Center , 150 W Market Street , August 24, 2001, Indianapolis , IN.
- 2001 Annual ABA Meeting: "Presidential Show Case Program." "Structured settlements today: How and why," Presidential CLE Center of the Hyatt Regency Hotel, August 3, 2001, Chicago, IL.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America Nursing Home Litigation Group: The unwitnessed fall: Trying the suspicious injury case against the big nursing home chains. "How to cross examine a doctor expert in a nursing home case," Le Centre Sheraton, July 14, 2001, Montreal, Canada.
- Medicaid and Elder Law Issues in Illinois, sponsored by Lorman Educational Services. "How to obtain substantial damages for the elderly in personal injury cases," May 22, 2001, Chicago, IL.
- Part of a panel presentation before the Crittenden Medical Insurance Conference, as part of a session or panel. "Plaintiff Attorneys versus Defense Attorneys," Washington Marriott, May 2 - 4, 2001, Washington D.C.
- ATLA National College of Advocacy as part of Litigating Nursing Home Cases Program entitled "Maximizing Damages in a Nursing Home Case and Overcoming Defense Arguments for Limited Damages," Red Lion Hotel, April 20 - 21, 2001, Houston, TX.
- ATLA Winter Convention: Hot Topics. "Distinguishing Nursing Home Litigation from Other Personal Injury Cases: Why nursing homes are right for punitive damages," February 12, 2001, New Orleans, LA.
- MTLA "Developing an Appropriate Theme for the Trial of a Nursing Home Case," January 26, 2001, Novi, MI.
- "Winning Strategies for the Nursing Home Litigator," an advanced Symposium for plaintiff and defense lawyers. Andrews Publications, Hyatt Regency, Nov 13 - 14, 2000, Scottsdale, AZ.
- The 25th Anniversary Annual Meeting of the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform. Moderator on presentation October 30, 2000, "Arbitration Clauses: Depriving Residents of Jury Trials," Omni Shoreham Hotel, 2500 Calvert St, N.W., October 28 - November 1, 2000, Washington, DC.
- Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: "The Next Millennium of Service." "Nursing Home Litigation, a Discussion of Nursing Home Litigation including Creative Remedies to Effectuate Law Reform", "Important Considerations in Determining which Nursing Home Cases Should be Pursued," Advanced Elder Law Institute, Hyatt Regency O'Hare, November 11-14, 1999, Chicago, IL.
- Andrews Publications Nursing Home Litigation - co-moderator of a 2 day conference devoted to Nursing Home Litigation. "How to prosecute a Wondering Case," Jupiter Beach Resort, November 15-16, 1999, Jupiter, FL.
- Illinois Paralegal Association 1999 Education Seminar: "Creating Your Own Success." "Nursing Home Litigation and the Role of the Paralegal," Chicago Athletic Association, November 5, 1999, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois State Bar Association continuing legal education program: "Issues Effecting the Elderly: Legal and Practical Approaches for your Practice as well as your Personal Life." Sponsored by the Standing Committee on Women and the Law, the Elder Law Section Council and the Standing Committee on Minority and Women Participation. "Prosecuting nursing home cases," Annual meeting - Grand Geneva Resort, June 26, 1999, Lake Geneva, WI.
- Illinois State Bar Association. "Nursing Home Torts," June 26, 1999.
- Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. "Litigating Nursing Home cases," March 19, 1999.
- American Bar Association. "Screening the Nursing Home Case," March 13, 1999.
- Chicago Bar Association Mental Health Committee. Speech the on the subject of the State dumping mentally ill patients in nursing homes, October 6, 1998.
- Appeared on a TV show "Common Law," hosted by David Kremin, October 6, 1998.
- Illinois State Bar Association. "Tort Reform Update - Impact on Litigation on behalf of Older Adults," June, 1997.
- Illinois State Bar Association. "Litigation to Address Abuse of Nursing Home Residents," December, 1996.
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform Annual Meeting. "Litigating Pressure Sore Cases Towards Improving Resident Care," October, 1996.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Meeting - Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Litigating Pressure Sore Cases," July, 1996.
- Chicago Kent School of Law. "Aging, Law and Public Policy - Representing Older Adults," March, 1995.
- Life Services Network. "Use of Inspection Survey Results in Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents - What Providers Should Know," February, 1995.
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association. "Nursing Home Litigation," March, 1994.
- Office of the Public Guardian Seminar. "Nursing Home Care Act -Private Right of Action," April, 1992.
- Illinois Department on Aging - Elder Rights Conference. "Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents," August, 1991.
- Lake County Health Department Community Seminar. "The Patient Self-Determination Act: Legal Implications for Long Term Care Residents and Providers," November, 1991.
- Illinois Department on Aging - Elder Rights Conference. "Understanding the New Federal Residents' Rights and Legal Remedies," August, 1990.
- Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Impact of the New Federal Regulations on Treating Pressure Ulcers - Medico-legal Implications," March, 1990.
- Chicago Bar Association - Young Lawyers Section. "Private Civil Damage Suits under the Nursing Home Care Act - An Underutilized Remedy," May, 1989.
- Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Preventing Malpractice in Nursing Home Care," February, 1989.
- National Symposium on the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers. "Legal Problems Associated with Pressure Sores," October, 1988.
- Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Legal Implications of the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers," March, 1988.
- Chicago Council of Lawyers - Disability Rights Committee. "Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents," November, 1987.
- Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "What the Physician treating Pressure Ulcers Should Know - A Legal Point of View," March, 1987.
- National Symposium on the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers. "Bed Sores: Patients' Rights and Professionals' Obligations," September 1986.
Steven Levin has authored numerous articles on topics related to personal injury and wrongful death litigation, with a particular focus on the area of nursing home negligence and abuse. His publications include:
- "How Changes to the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act Will Affect Long-Term Care Abuse and Neglect Cases," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin - Law Day Edition, April 2013.
- "Plaintiffs’ Perspectives,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Long Term Care Litigation Handbook, (2013).
- "Weaving a Nursing Home Deposition Strategy," Trial Magazine, December 2012.
- "Advising Elder Clients and Their Families - Chapter 7 - Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions Under the Nursing Home Care Act,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2008 Handbook and 2012 Supplement. IICLE (2012) with Steven M. Levin.
- "The Effects of Grief and Sorrow Damages in Illinois Wrongful Death Cases." Chicago Lawyer Magazine Year In Review 2011 (January 2012)
Steve Levin and Mike Bonamarte, selected by the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, recently wrote a brief and submitted it to the Illinois Supreme Court arguing that punitive damages, a form of punishment and deterrence, should be allowed in nursing home death cases when the conduct of the nursing home is egregious.
- "Combating Juror Bias in Nursing Home Cases," AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group Newsletter (Winter 2009)
- "Plaintiff's Perspectives," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Handbook, Advising Elder Clients and Their Families (2008)Illinois State Bar Journal (July 2000)
- "Protecting the Rights of Nursing Home Residents Through Litigation," Illinois State Bar Journal (January 1996)
- "Nursing Homes and Life Care Communities," IICLE, Advising Elderly Clients and Their Families, Ch. 8 (1991) (IICLE website)
- "A Question of Responsibility: Part Two - An Attorney's View of the Insanity Defense," Loyola Magazine (1982)
- "Libel and Slander - A State is Precluded from Imposing Liability Without Fault or Presumed or Punitive Damages in the Absence of New York Times Malice," - Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc., Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal (Winter 1975)