Steven M. LevinFounder and Senior Partner
Meet Steve—Family Man, Entrepreneur, Mentor, Trial Attorney
Nationally known for successfully representing clients in personal injury matters, Steven Levin is an outstanding attorney, successful entrepreneur and, most importantly, a committed family man. Steve's family values carry over into everything he does, from representing people seeking better care for their elderly loved ones to building a law firm that has become one of the best in the nation at winning substantial verdicts and settlements for people affected by medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, or other personal injury cases.
Steve Levin grew up in the Chicagoland area and has lived there with his family his entire life. He married his childhood sweetheart Marsha. Steve is the father of three boys and one girl, and grandpa to fourteen grandchildren. He also proudly plays the role of ‘dad’ to some of the younger attorneys he mentors, including his now partners Mike Bonamarte and Margaret Battersby. Steve was a groomsman in Mike’s wedding and spoke at Margaret’s rehearsal dinner.
He has instilled a family-like culture at Levin & Perconti since the firm’s inception in 1992. The firm began with Steve, John Perconti and Steve’s sister and partner Susan Novosad. Steve and Susan have worked together for over 30 years. Steve has helped grow the law firm of three to more than 20 attorneys handling hundreds of serious injury and death cases. Through the practice of law Steve has touched and influenced the lives of thousands of colleagues and clients since beginning his legal career in 1976.
Steve is known nationally as one of the best trial attorneys. His peers and adversaries will tell you that his cross-examination skills rival those of the best litigators in the country. He is widely sought after to share his techniques and strategies in speaking roles at seminars all over the United States.
Steve is a pioneer in the area of nursing home abuse and neglect and is one of the first attorneys in the country to prosecute these types of cases on behalf of the elderly and their families. He is a founding member and one of the original officers of the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group. This is a national group of attorneys dedicated to prosecuting nursing home corporations that allow residents to be abused and neglected. Steve’s firm has obtained the top three jury verdicts in nursing home negligence cases in the state of Illinois.
Steve has been a zealous advocate for the rights of nursing home residents. Not only will Steve make sure that nursing homes are held accountable for wrongdoing toward residents, he works with numerous advocacy groups in an effort to effect change and prevent neglect and abuse from occurring. As Steve likes to put it, his goal is to “Stop Poor Care.” He has contributed to lobbying efforts in Springfield to strengthen legislation that governs the operation of nursing homes. He has helped write stricter laws that have been enacted as part of the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act. He is in regular contact with Federal and State ombudsman regarding issues they are dealing with from a regulatory perspective. Steve is a member of the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care’s Leadership Council. This organization is dedicated to protecting the rights of nursing home residents.
Steve’s firm has recovered nearly a billion on behalf of their clients including the following notable results:
- $17.7 million settlement on behalf of an injured police officer who sustained a serious brain injury due to nursing staff negligence in a Chicago hospital
- $9 million dollar birth injury settlement
- $7.5 million dollar record Jones Act settlement for injured worker on the Mississippi River
- $7 million verdict in a medical negligence suit against a doctor who failed to diagnose our client’s postpartum bleeding, resulting in her death
- $6.7 million jury verdict against a hospital in a birth injury lawsuit
- $5.7 million workplace injury settlement for a 27-year-old roofer who was injured on the job
- The Top 3 Illinois Jury Verdicts in Illinois Nursing Home cases
- $4.1 million dollar jury verdict for nursing home negligence in medication error case
- $2.9 million nursing home neglect jury verdict in a choking case.
- $2.77 million nursing home neglect jury verdict in a fall case
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1976
Loyola University School of Law Review, Lead Article Editor
Awarded for highest grade point average
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1976
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1976
Professional Organization, past and present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (“AAJ”)
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group
- American Constitution Society Chicago Lawyer
- Chapter (Board of Advisors)
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care's Leadership Council
- Decalogue Society
- The Society of Trial Lawyers, President
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform and its "Committee of 20"
- Advisory Committee of Illinois Citizens for Better Care National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (Steering Committee)
- Attorney General of Illinois' Task Force on Nursing Homes
- City of Chicago Committee on Nursing Homes
- Chicago Department on Aging Ombudsman Advisory Counsel
- American Trial Lawyers Association Nursing Home Litigation Group (co-chair)
- Board of Advisors for the Nursing Home Litigation Reporter
- AAJ Birth Injury Litigation Group
- The American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section (Vice Chair, Medicine & Law Committee)
- The American Jewish Committee Human Relations Award Dinner (Vice Chairman)
- Highland Park Zoning Board of Appeals (Member and Chairman for 13 years)
- Ad Hoc Committee on Amusement Tax on Ravinia Park
Steve Levin is an experienced and highly sought-after speaker who frequently addresses audiences around the country on personal injury and wrongful death litigation matters. He is particularly renowned for his knowledge and insights on topics related to trial techniques and nursing home abuse and neglect. His presentations include:
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) May 5, 2017, "Ex Parte Communication with Current and Former Employees of Defendant."
Strafford Nursing Home Depos Webinar, CLE Webinar, April 20, 2017, "Deposing Nursing Home Staff and Corporate Representatives in Nursing Home Injury Cases."
American Association for Justice, Nursing Home Depositions College, "Structuring the Deposition of a Difficult Witness." - March 30 - April 1, 2017. Washington, DC.
American Association for Justice, "Nursing Home Damages Seminar" Damages for the Decedent's Children - May 19, 2016. Nashville, TN.
American Association for Justice, "Sexual Abuse of Residents in Nursing Home Facilities" February 29, 2016. Boca Raton, FL.
Women of the Section of Litigation Leading Litigating, and Connecting, "Presumed Defective: the Impact of the Malfunction Theory on Products Cases," WOTSOL Seminar, November 12, 2015, Chicago, IL.
Strafford Publications, "Nursing Home Injury Litigation: Evaluating Common Claims, Reviewing Medical Records, and Assessing Damages," Webinar, September 30, 2015, Chicago, IL.
Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, Feb 6, 2015, Chicago.
The American College of Wound Healing and Tissue Repair, "Plaintiff and Defense Points of View on Recent Wound Care Topics," ACWHTR Annual Meeting. December 5, 2014, Chicago, IL.
The National Conference of Jewish Lawyers, Taking Doctors to Task: The Ethics of Medical Malpractice Lawsuits, National Jewish Retreat, August 6, 2014, Chicago.
The American College of Wound Healing and Tissue Repair, "Wound Care and the Law: Liability and Other Issues for the Practicing Wound Care Clinician," ACWHTR Annual Meeting. December 6, 2013, Chicago, IL.
American Association for Justice, Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar: From Case Selection to Trial. May 9, 2013. Boston, MA.
IICLE, Advanced Evidentiary Issues at Trial. January 25, 2013, Chicago, IL.
Circuit Court of Cook County Lunchtime Seminar Series. “Voir Dire: Legal & Strategic Issues,” December 17, 2012, Chicago, IL.
American Association for Justice. “Research Strategies for Expert Depositions and Trial Preparation in Nursing Home Cases,” AAJ 2012 Annual Convention. July 30, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- American Association for Justice, Nursing Home College: Depositions. May 10, 2012. Washington, DC.
- New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. Winning Your Case Through Depositions. April 26, 2012, Atlantic City, NJ.
- The John Marshall Law School, Personal injury in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. April 2, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Deposing Adverse Parties and Expert Witnesses. Pretrial Preparation in Civil Practice. March 23, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Nursing Home Litigation for the Elder Law Practitioner. Elder Law Practice in the Circuit Court of Cook County. March 23, 2012, Chicago, IL.
Illinois Governor's Conference on Aging. Protecting Residents' Rights Through Litigation. December 8, 2011, Chicago, IL.
National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care Annual Conference. Using the Law to Advocate for Residents of Long-Term Care. October 26, 2011, Grand Rapids, MI.
American Association for Justice Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar. Exposing and Understanding Juror Attitudes. October 14, 2011, Las Vegas, NV.
6th Annual Elder Law Short Course. Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation on Behalf of Older Americans and Long Term Care Residents. November 16, 2010, Lisle, IL.
National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care Annual Conference. Protecting Residents' Rights Through Litigation. October 20, 2010, Orlando, FL.
Illinois Pioneer Coalition Conference. Using the Legal System to Incite Change in Nursing Homes. October 12, 2010, Springfield, IL.
New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. Co-Opting the Defense Through Depositions. April 22, 2010, Atlantic City, NJ.
Community Renewal Society Senior Action Network Luncheon Advocating for Friends and Loved Ones in Long-Term Care. Greater Walters Church, April 15, 2010, Chicago, IL.
Culture Change Coalition of Peoria Understanding Nursing Home Laws: The Law’s Role in Protecting and Compensating Victims of Abuse and Neglect Illinois Central College, March 4, 2010, Peoria, IL.
Vernon Park Church of God's Senior Council Meeting. How to Protect and Advocate for Your Loved One in a Nursing Home Setting. Vernon Park Church of God, January 16, 2010, Chicago, IL.
Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyer's Section Criminal Law/Torts Committee Meeting. Nursing Home Litigation: Doing Well by Doing Good. November 20, 2009, Chicago, IL.
American Association for Justice Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar. Moving from Medical Malpractice to Nursing Home- Differences to Watch For. October 17, 2009, Chicago,IL.
New Jersey Association for Justice Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Seminar. The Windy City Comes to Jersey: Using Midwest Sensibilities to Deal with the Conservative Juror. April 23, 2009, Atlantic City, NJ.
DePaul University School of Law Elder Law Class. Understanding Nursing Home Litigation. March 31, 2009, Chicago, IL.
NAELA Illinois Chapter Meeting. Protecting the Rights of Elderly Clients in Personal Injury Matters. March 13, 2009, Chicago, IL.
Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS). Perspectives on Discovery and Long-Term Care from Both Sides of the Bar. Sears Tower Oak Room, September 7, 2008, Chicago, IL.
American Constitution Society for Law and Policy: Safeguarding Our Seniors: Perspectives on Elder Law and Nursing Home Litigation. Ungaretti & Harris LLP, June 19, 2008, Chicago, IL.
NAELA Telephonic Conference on Advocacy and Litigation. Topics in Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Litigation. June 25, 2008.
JAMS: Nursing Home Litigation, Insurance and Beyond. JAMS Resolution Center, June 6, 2008, Chicago, IL.
Illinois Long Term Care Ombudsman Program. How to spot signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse and neglect. May 2008, Arlington Heights, IL.
Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago; Quarterly Vounteer Ombudsmen Meeting. Discussion on Advocating for Nursing Home Residents, Identifying Nursing Home Abuse, and Defending Residents' Rights. Arlington Heights Senior Center, April 16, 2008, Arlington Heights, IL.
North Shore Senior Center Men's Club. Nursing Home Abuse: How to make sure your loved one is not a victim. North Shore Senior Center, January 15, 2008, Northfield, IL.
American Association for Justice - Nursing Home Litigation Group. Rules of the Road: Nursing Home Cases Hyatt Regency, July 16, 2007, Chicago, IL.
Boulevard Healthcare LLC's Medical Director's Meeting. "Litigation in Long Term Care: The Emerging Storm." May 22, 2007, Chicago, IL.
Guardianship and Advocacy Committee of Illinois - Annual Meeting. "Long Term Care Abuse and Neglect: When is legal action appropriate?" May 9, 2007, Chicago, IL.
American Geriatrics Society - Annual Meeting. "Litigation in Long Term Care." May 3, 2007, Seattle, WA.
ITLA -Top Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know. "Top Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Depositions." Hilton Suites Chicago, March 31, 2007, Chicago, IL.
Loyola Summer Institute on Aging. "The Nature, Extent, and Impact of Abuse and Neglect by Staff at Residential Facilities and How to Advocate on Behalf of a Resident." Loyola University School of Law, August 16, 2006, Chicago, IL.
ATLA - Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Closing Arguments - Tying it All Together" Washington State and Trade Center , July 17, 2006, Seattle WA.
Illinois Long Term Care Ombudsman Program Statewide Training Conference. "Empowering the Ombudsman - Advocacy Suggestions," March 29, 2006 Bloomington, IL.
ATLA Education and ATLA's Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Litigating Nursing Home Cases: Rising to New Challenges / Nursing Home Falls - Not Your Average Slip & Fall Cases," Hyatt Regency, September 30, 2005, Albuquerque, NM.
ATLA 2005 Annual Convention. Nursing Home Litigation Group Lecture and Demonstration: "Opening Statements in a Nursing Home Case," July 24, 2005, Toronto Canada.
Mealey's Nursing Home Litigation Conference, Speaker, June 9 Injury Litigation Professionals Need to Know," April 24, 2003.
Association of Trial Lawyers of American, National College of Advocacy. Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar: “Deposing Home Employees,” Sheridan Yankee Trader Hotel, March 19, 2004, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. (Transcript) Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Seminar. "Successful Plaintiff's Nursing Home Litigation," ISTA Conference Center, June 14, 2002, Indianapolis, IN
Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar. "The Secrets to Discovering Elder Abuse: Where is the Smoking Gun," Ritz Carlton, March 14-15, 2002, New Orleans, LA.
The Decalogue Society Legal Lecture Series. "Secrets of Winning the Nursing Home Case," March 6, 2002, Chicago, IL.
Speaker at the ATLA tele-seminar,Winning Arguments for Punitive Damage/ Why Nursing Homes are Ripe for Punitive Damages - January 23, 2002.
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar. "Practicing with the Best & Avoiding the Rest Seminar: Jury Selection, Focus Groups," Westin Hotel, October 8, 2001, Chicago, IL.
National College of Advocacy. "Maximizing damages and defeating the defense argument for limited damages," Four Points Sheraton Phoenix Metrocenter, October 6, 2001, Phoenix , AZ.
The 26th Annual Meeting of the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform. Moderator of program "Creative Lawyering and Advocacy: Tort Reform," September 28 - October 3, 2001, Arlington, VA.
The Indiana Trial Lawyers - "The Elder Law Seminar: From a Tort Prospective." "Distinguishing Nursing Home Litigation from other Tort Cases," ISTAConference Center , 150 W Market Street , August 24, 2001, Indianapolis , IN.
2001 Annual ABA Meeting: "Presidential Show Case Program." "Structured settlements today: How and why," Presidential CLE Center of the Hyatt Regency Hotel, August 3, 2001, Chicago, IL.
Association of Trial Lawyers of America Nursing Home Litigation Group: The unwitnessed fall: Trying the suspicious injury case against the big nursing home chains. "How to cross examine a doctor expert in a nursing home case," Le Centre Sheraton, July 14, 2001, Montreal, Canada.
Medicaid and Elder Law Issues in Illinois, sponsored by Lorman Educational Services. "How to obtain substantial damages for the elderly in personal injury cases," May 22, 2001, Chicago, IL.
Part of a panel presentation before the Crittenden Medical Insurance Conference, as part of a session or panel. "Plaintiff Attorneys versus Defense Attorneys," Washington Marriott, May 2 - 4, 2001, Washington D.C.
ATLA National College of Advocacy as part of Litigating Nursing Home Cases Program entitled "Maximizing Damages in a Nursing Home Case and Overcoming Defense Arguments for Limited Damages," Red Lion Hotel, April 20 - 21, 2001, Houston, TX.
ATLA Winter Convention: Hot Topics. "Distinguishing Nursing Home Litigation from Other Personal Injury Cases: Why nursing homes are right for punitive damages," February 12, 2001, New Orleans, LA.
MTLA "Developing an Appropriate Theme for the Trial of a Nursing Home Case," January 26, 2001, Novi, MI.
"Winning Strategies for the Nursing Home Litigator," an advanced Symposium for plaintiff and defense lawyers. Andrews Publications, Hyatt Regency, Nov 13 - 14, 2000, Scottsdale, AZ.
The 25th Anniversary Annual Meeting of the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform. Moderator on presentation October 30, 2000, "Arbitration Clauses: Depriving Residents of Jury Trials," Omni Shoreham Hotel, 2500 Calvert St, N.W., October 28 - November 1, 2000, Washington, DC.
Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: "The Next Millennium of Service." "Nursing Home Litigation, a Discussion of Nursing Home Litigation including Creative Remedies to Effectuate Law Reform", "Important Considerations in Determining which Nursing Home Cases Should be Pursued," Advanced Elder Law Institute, Hyatt Regency O'Hare, November 11-14, 1999, Chicago, IL.
Andrews Publications Nursing Home Litigation - co-moderator of a 2 day conference devoted to Nursing Home Litigation. "How to prosecute a Wondering Case," Jupiter Beach Resort, November 15-16, 1999, Jupiter, FL.
Illinois Paralegal Association 1999 Education Seminar: "Creating Your Own Success." "Nursing Home Litigation and the Role of the Paralegal," Chicago Athletic Association, November 5, 1999, Chicago, IL.
Illinois State Bar Association continuing legal education program: "Issues Effecting the Elderly: Legal and Practical Approaches for your Practice as well as your Personal Life." Sponsored by the Standing Committee on Women and the Law, the Elder Law Section Council and the Standing Committee on Minority and Women Participation. "Prosecuting nursing home cases," Annual meeting - Grand Geneva Resort, June 26, 1999, Lake Geneva, WI.
Illinois State Bar Association. "Nursing Home Torts," June 26, 1999.
Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. "Litigating Nursing Home cases," March 19, 1999.
American Bar Association. "Screening the Nursing Home Case," March 13, 1999.
Chicago Bar Association Mental Health Committee. Speech the on the subject of the State dumping mentally ill patients in nursing homes, October 6, 1998.
Appeared on a TV show "Common Law," hosted by David Kremin, October 6, 1998.
Illinois State Bar Association. "Tort Reform Update - Impact on Litigation on behalf of Older Adults," June, 1997.
Illinois State Bar Association. "Litigation to Address Abuse of Nursing Home Residents," December, 1996.
National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform Annual Meeting. "Litigating Pressure Sore Cases Towards Improving Resident Care," October, 1996.
Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Meeting - Nursing Home Litigation Group. "Litigating Pressure Sore Cases," July, 1996.
Chicago Kent School of Law. "Aging, Law and Public Policy - Representing Older Adults," March, 1995.
Life Services Network. "Use of Inspection Survey Results in Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents - What Providers Should Know," February, 1995.
Northwest Suburban Bar Association. "Nursing Home Litigation," March, 1994.
Office of the Public Guardian Seminar. "Nursing Home Care Act -Private Right of Action," April, 1992.
Illinois Department on Aging - Elder Rights Conference. "Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents," August, 1991.
Lake County Health Department Community Seminar. "The Patient Self-Determination Act: Legal Implications for Long Term Care Residents and Providers," November, 1991.
Illinois Department on Aging - Elder Rights Conference. "Understanding the New Federal Residents' Rights and Legal Remedies," August, 1990.
Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Impact of the New Federal Regulations on Treating Pressure Ulcers - Medico-legal Implications," March, 1990.
Chicago Bar Association - Young Lawyers Section. "Private Civil Damage Suits under the Nursing Home Care Act - An Underutilized Remedy," May, 1989.
Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Preventing Malpractice in Nursing Home Care," February, 1989.
National Symposium on the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers. "Legal Problems Associated with Pressure Sores," October, 1988.
Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "Legal Implications of the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers," March, 1988.
Chicago Council of Lawyers - Disability Rights Committee. "Litigation on Behalf of Nursing Home Residents," November, 1987.
Midwest Clinical Conference - Chicago Medical Society. "What the Physician treating Pressure Ulcers Should Know - A Legal Point of View," March, 1987.
National Symposium on the Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers. "Bed Sores: Patients' Rights and Professionals' Obligations," September 1986.
Steven Levin has authored numerous articles on topics related to personal injury and wrongful death litigation, with a particular focus on the area of nursing home negligence and abuse. His publications include:
- " Listen, Validate, Flip," Trial, August 2020.
- " How Changes to the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act Will Affect Long-Term Care Abuse and Neglect Cases ," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin - Law Day Edition, April 2013.
- "Plaintiffs’ Perspectives,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Long Term Care Litigation Handbook, (2013).
- "Weaving a Nursing Home Deposition Strategy," Trial Magazine, December 2012.
- "Advising Elder Clients and Their Families - Chapter 7 - Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions Under the Nursing Home Care Act,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2008 Handbook and 2012 Supplement. IICLE (2012) with Steven M. Levin.
- "The Effects of Grief and Sorrow Damages in Illinois Wrongful Death Cases." Chicago Lawyer Magazine Year In Review 2011 (January 2012)
- Steve Levin and Mike Bonamarte, selected by the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, recently wrote a brief and submitted it to the Illinois Supreme Court arguing that punitive damages, a form of punishment and deterrence, should be allowed in nursing home death cases when the conduct of the nursing home is egregious.
- "Combating Juror Bias in Nursing Home Cases,"AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group Newsletter (Winter 2009)
- "Plaintiff's Perspectives,"I llinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Handbook, Advising Elder Clients and Their Families (2008)Illinois State Bar Journal (July 2000)
- "Protecting the Rights of Nursing Home Residents Through Litigation,"Illinois State Bar Journal (January 1996)
- "Nursing Homes and Life Care Communities,"IICLE, Advising Elderly Clients and Their Families, Ch. 8 (1991) ( IICLE website)
- "A Question of Responsibility: Part Two - An Attorney's View of the Insanity Defense,"Loyola Magazine (1982)
- "Libel and Slander - A State is Precluded from Imposing Liability Without Fault or Presumed or Punitive Damages in the Absence of New York Times Malice," - Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc., Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal (Winter 1975)
- Leading Lawyer, Personal Injury Plaintiff, Leading Lawyers, 2021
- Illinois Super Lawyer
Top 100 in Illinois in 2013 - 2020
- Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Best Lawyers in America Ⓡ - Medical Malpractice, since 2013
- Best Lawyers in AmericaⓇ - Personal Injury, since 2013
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 100 Attorneys, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America®
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016