Susan L. NovosadPartner
Susan L. Novosad, Partner, is a trial attorney with over 28 years of experience representing clients in a variety of personal injury and wrongful death matters, including premises liability, medical malpractice, car and trucking accidents and nursing home abuse and neglect lawsuits.
A fundamental aspect of Susan’s practice is her accessibility to her clients. She believes that her clients are entitled to fair compensation for the harm they have suffered, and has met with Illinois legislators to oppose laws placing limits on recoveries of medical malpractice victims.
Susan compassionately serves injured clients, tirelessly working to bring justice to those harmed as a result of negligence. Susan is well-known in the Chicago legal community for her unmatched negotiation skills and her ability to end disputes and help opposing parties find resolution. These powerful diplomacy skills have earned her the enduring respect of both peers and adversaries.
Some of Susan’s most notable achievements include:
- A $6.7 million birth injury verdict in a medical malpractice lawsuit
- A $4.1M jury verdict on behalf of an 85-year-old woman injured in a nursing home when her medications were mismanaged.
- A $3.5 million settlement in a birth injury lawsuit
- A $1.5 million settlement on behalf of an elderly resident of a long-term care facility who suffered burns after being placed in a scalding bath
- A $1.49 million medical malpractice settlement
- A record $1 million settlement (the largest nursing home negligence settlement in Lake County, IL, history) for the family of a deceased former nursing home resident who died after suffering injuries in a fall at a nursing home.
In 2013, Susan obtained a $2.4 million verdict in a personal injury lawsuit against the City of Chicago. Follow the link to read coverage of this accident verdict.
Recently, Susan was chosen for inclusion in Chicago Magazine's Illinois: The Top 100 list, along with the Illinois: The Top 50 Women list. These honors highlight the attorneys who topped the Illinois Super Lawyers nomination, research and review processes. Susan was named to the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell®. Susan was honored among the WBAI's 2015 Top Women Lawyers in Leadership. This award recognizes outstanding women lawyers in Illinois who serve in a leadership role, who have excelled in their legal field and have gone beyond traditional mentoring to create new pathways for other women. She was also named as a Leading Lawyer for 2012-17 by her peers.
In addition to her practice, Susan enjoyed mentoring law students through the Alumni Mentoring Program at the John Marshall Law School. She grew up in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, IL, and is a graduate of the University of Illinois. In 1986, Susan graduated from John Marshall Law School with honors and was admitted to practice law in Illinois the same year.
Susan resides with her husband, also an attorney, in suburban Chicago, and has three children.
J.D. Cum Laude, The John Marshall Law School, 1986
B.A., University of Illinois, 1978
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1986
Supreme Court of the United States, 1986
Women's Bar Association of Illinois
American Association for Justice
Nursing Home Litigation Group
- The John Marshall Law School Center for Advocacy and Dispute Resolution. "Preparing for Trial," Chicago, IL. April 19, 2012.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association's Everything You Need to Know About Motor Vehicle Accident Cases Seminar. "Party Depositions" Oak Brook, IL. March 23, 2012.
- JCC Chicago - Anita M. Stone Community Center. "Advocating for Yourself and Your Loved Ones in Long-Term Care Facilities." Flossmoor,IL. May 11, 2010.
- Oasis Senior Center, Northbrook Court. "What You Should Know About Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect." Northbrook, IL. February 18,2010.
- Appeared on WCPT 820 AM's UN-COMMON LAW Radio Show with Kurt Moller on March 22, 2009.
- IICLE Nursing Home Negligence Conference.“Prosecuting and Defending Physical and Sexual Abuse.” Springfield, Illinois. January 11, 2007.
- Illinois Leading Lawyers 2012-2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers
Illinois Top 100, Illinois Top 50 Women 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers 2012, 2013, 2014
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 100 Attorneys 2013
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 50 Women Attorneys 2013
- Leading Lawyers Magazine's Top 10 Women in Personal Injury 2015