Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- $4.1M jury verdict on behalf of an 85-year-old woman injured in a nursing home when her medications were mismanaged. The verdict is record breaking as the highest Illinois Nursing Home Care Act verdict since 2006, when our firm obtained a $2.9 million dollar Nursing Home Care Act verdict. Susan L. Novosad, Margaret Battersby Black, and Daniel A. Goldfaden were the attorneys on the case. July 18, 2017.
S.G. v. Southpoint Nursing Home
- Content $2.7M jury verdict for the estate of a 67-year-old man who died from complications related to a fall at Southpoint Nursing Home on Chicago's south side. Mike Bonamarte and A.J. Thut were the attorneys on the case.
S.A. v. HCR Manor Care Homewood
- $2.9 million record nursing home jury verdict against a suburban Homewood nursing home for the family of a deceased 57-year-old resident who was suffocated due to the home’s negligent care of her tracheostomy tube.
S.W. v. Renaissance at Hillside, Inc.
- $2.8 million record nursing home pressure sore settlement against a suburban Hillside nursing home and physician for a 59-year-old resident who developed multiple painful and infected bedsores which took four years to heal.
J.M. as administrator of the estate of M.M. v. Senior Lifestyle Maplewood Limited Partnership d/b/a Kingsley Place and Lincoln Square, Barry A. Rapaport, M.D., et al.
- $2.3 million settlement for the family of an 88-year-old assisted living facility resident who developed severe and infected bed sores which ultimately brought about her death. Her doctor was criminally indicted for his conduct and charged with involuntary homicide.
P.C. as administrator of the estate of A.R. v. Ridgeview Pavilion, Inc., et al.
- $1.5 million settlement against a nursing home for violating the Nursing Home Care Reform Act by failing to monitor a mentally impaired resident's cigarette smoking, leading to severe burns and death.
M.P. as administrator of the estate of E.J. v. Brentwood North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, et al.
- $1.5 million settlement for an 87-year-old nursing home resident who suffered severe burns when seated in a steaming-hot sitz bath.
J.L. v. Wedgewood Pavilion Nursing Home
- $1.4 million verdict against a nursing home for failure to manage a nursing home resident's behavior which caused a shoving match, fall, hip fracture and death of a 79 year old fellow nursing home resident.
Anonymous Client vs. Confidential Nursing Home
- $1.4 million nursing home bed sore settlement against a facility located in the northern suburbs for a former nursing home resident who sustained injuries as a result of a pressure sore.
W.B. as administrator of the estate of W.B. v. Jackson Square Nursing Center, et al.
- $1.3 million settlement for a 74-year-old nursing home resident who died as a result of a beating he received when the nursing home placed a younger resident with violent tendencies in his room.
A.J. as administrator of the estate of E.J. v. Guadalupe Economic Services, et al.
- $1.2 million settlement for an 82-year-old nursing home resident who developed bed sores so severe that they caused an infection in the bone; she died as a result of complications from these injuries.
T.H. v. Halsted Terrace Nursing Center, Inc.
- $1.1 million settlement against a nursing home for a 75-year-old resident who developed multiple painful and infected bedsores, or pressure ulcers, which caused her death.
K.M. for M.N. v. ManorCare South Holland
- $1 million ManorCare nursing home settlement for the family of an 80-year-old nursing home resident who developed multiple stage IV pressure sores that contributed to the cause of her death.
C.M., administrator of the estate of H.M. v. Winchester House
- $1 million record Lake County settlement for an 83-year-old nursing home resident who fell several times while a resident at the nursing home, with the last fall contributing to her death. Despite her risk for falls, the nursing home neglected to implement changes in her care plan to prevent further falls from occurring.
V.N. for E.N. v. All-Faith Pavilion
- $1 million settlement against a Chicago facility on behalf of the family of an 82-year-old man who suffered a fatal brain injury in a fall at the nursing home.
P.G., administrator of the estate of R.G.. v. Lee Manor Nursing Home
- $1 million Cook County Jury Verdict for the family of a 54-year-old nursing home resident who exited a window on the fifth floor of the nursing home and died from fall-related injuries. The jury found that the nursing home was negligent in failing to prevent the resident from exiting the window.
C.A. as administrator of the estate of W.R. v. Mercy Health Care Rehabilitation Institute
- $1 million settlement against a nursing home for a 75-year-old resident who suffered malnutrition, dehydration and Stage IV pressure sores, resulting in death.
E.L. v. Sunrise Assisted Living
- $1 million verdict against assisted living facility who admitted liability for failing to give a proper mechanical soft diet due to understaffing and poorly trained staff resulting in choking and death of a 67 year old man.
J.W. v. Alden Northshore Nursing Home
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a quadriplegic that developed severe pressure sores that his nursing home claimed were unavoidable. After leaving the home, it took one year for the sores to heal and they have not returned.
C.P. v. Unidentified Nursing Home
- $1 million settlement for failure to properly care plan for and monitor a wheelchair bound resident’s risk of strangulation resulting in death.
D.Y. v. Alden Naperville Rehabilitation and Health Care Center and S.G., M.D
- $1 million settlement for the family of a 78-year-old nursing home resident against a Naperville nursing home and doctor for failure to prevent and treat seven Stage IV pressure ulcers which caused the resident’s death.
C.S. for C.S.. v. Confidential Nursing Home
- $1 million settlement in a case filed by the family of an 88-year-old man who developed multiple infected bed sores that required surgery, prolonged hospitalization, and extensive wound care to treat. The bed sore lawsuit alleged that the nursing home failed to take the proper measures to prevent his pressure sores from forming, and failed to prevent existing pressure ulcers from worsening
R.F. for I.F. v. Undisclosed Chicago Nursing Home
- $999,000 nursing home negligence settlement against a Chicago nursing home and physician for the family of a 34-year-old woman who bled to death when the staff failed to properly monitor her condition or report changes in her condition to her physician.
O.W. v. Hillcrest Healthcare Center
- $995,000 settlement against a Joliet nursing home for the mother of a 45-year-old nursing home resident with schizophrenia and alcoholism who died as a result of a gastric ulcer which perforated a vein and caused a hemorrhage. Signs and symptoms of the gastric ulcer, present two weeks prior to the resident’s death, were not reported to the resident’s physician.
C.B. v. American Baptist Homes of the Midwest
- $950,000 settlement against a nursing home for allowing an 85-year-old woman with dementia to wander outside the nursing home, where she froze to death.
E. V. v. Emerald Park Health Care Center
- $950,000 settlement against an Evergreen Park nursing which has subsequently been shut down by the State of Illinois for a 91-year-old nursing home resident who over a three year period suffered from malnutrition and dehydration sustaining a body loss of 1/3 of her total weight within the last three months, causing a hospitalization and death.
A.B. v. Unidentified Chicago Area Nursing Home
- $950,000 settlement for the family of an 81-year-old nursing home resident in a wheelchair who fell down a flight of stairs and suffered a subdural hematoma and died seven months later.
A.C. as special administration of the estate of L.C. v. Manorcare Health Services Inc., et al.
- $925,000 settlement on behalf of the family of an 86-year-old nursing home resident who was so badly neglected that she became malnourished and dehydrated, and developed severely infected bed sores that caused an infection in her bone and in her blood, and resulted in her death.
E.A. for R.A. v. Confidential Nursing Home
- $919,000 nursing home neglect settlement for the son of a 54-year-old resident who died as a result of the nursing home's failure to properly monitor his condition or transfer him to the hospital during a hypertensive crisis.
T.B. for J.K. v. Renaissance Park South, formerly known as Halsted Terrace Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- $917,912 nursing home negligence settlement on behalf of the surviving family of a 63-year-old nursing home resident who died when nursing home staff failed to properly administer medication prescribed to him to treat his gastrointestinal cancer and failed to ensure that he made follow-up visits with his oncologist. As a result of these failures, his cancer spread and caused his death.
I.L.for R.L. v. Lincolnwood Place
- $914,000 nursing home lawsuit settlement for the family of a former Lincolnwood resident who died after suffering a stroke as a result of the nursing home's failure to properly administer her blood-thinning medication.
A.V. for R.V. v. a confidential Chicago area nursing home
- $900,000 settlement for a 74-year-old nursing home resident who suffered a serious brain injury in a fall at the Defendant nursing home. The lawsuit alleged that the facility failed to appropriately develop, implement and revise a care plan to address our client's fall potential and failed to ensure that he received appropriate supervision and assistive devices to prevent nursing home falls.
R.B. as administrator of the estate of J.P. v. Kenwood Healthcare Center, Inc.
- $900,000 settlement against a nursing home whose failure to monitor a 58-year-old wheelchair- bound resident's unauthorized smoking caused the resident to sustain severe burns, resulting in death.
A.J. as administrator of the estate of S.J. v. Regency Nursing Center Inc.
- $900,000 settlement against a nursing home that failed to appropriately feed and hydrate a 76-year-old resident, leading to his malnutrition, dehydration and death.
O.A. v. Columbus Park Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and Pavilion of Forest Park
- $900,000 settlement for the family of an 81-year-old nursing home resident against two nursing homes. One Chicago nursing home failed to prevent the resident from falling and sustaining a hip fracture. The other, Forest Park nursing home failed to prevent the formation of and worsening of multiple pressure ulcers, including multiple Stage IV pressure ulcers.
Anonymous v. Metropolis Health Care Center
- $862,500 settlement for a nursing home resident who contracted MRSA as a result of staff negligence while living at the defendant facility, causing him to undergo additional surgeries and amputation.
K.P. for W.P. v. Ballard Nursing Center
- $861,788 policy limit settlement for a 61-year-old nursing home resident who suffocated to death because nursing home staff failed to properly place his tracheostomy tube.
K.T. v. Chevy Chase Nursing Home
- $850,000 settlement against a nursing home for a woman who fell from her bed, resulting in a subdural hematoma and death.
H.B. for E.B., Deceased, Plaintiff versus Confidential Chicago Nursing Home et al.
- $825,000 settlement for the daughter of a former nursing home resident who suffered at least six falls during her residency. The facility failed to create any care plan to address her risk for falls until after her last fall, in which her eye burst, requiring an eye enucleation surgery. Her conditioned declined significantly after this surgery and she died one month later.
C.T., special administrator of the estate of D.F. v. Manorcare Health Services, Inc., et al.
- $825,000 settlement for a 75-year-old nursing home resident with dementia and a history of wandering who died of hypothermia after exiting the facility in bitter cold temperatures resulting from the home’s failure to verify if his tracking bracelet was functioning, properly supervise him, and promptly notify the police.
E.L. for E.M. v. Confidential North Shore Nursing Home
- $820,000 nursing home settlement for the family of an 86-year-old woman who fell in her bathroom at the nursing home and sustained a cervical spine fracture which contributed her death nine days later.
M.W. for E.D v. Clark Manor Convalescent Home
- $800,000 settlement for the family of a 56-year-old nursing home resident who suffered a hip fracture in fall at the facility. After his fall, he developed a number of bed sores, a chronic bone infection and became malnourished, all of which led to a deterioration in his condition.
I.R. v. Halsted Terrace Nursing Center
- $800,000 settlement against a Chicago nursing home for failing to appropriately monitor an 88-year-old patient’s hydration levels after a fall, causing severe pain, appetite loss, severe dehydration and death.
I.P. for N.P. v. Riverside Foundation
- $800,000 settlement against a Lincolnshire, Illinois intermediate care facility for failing to appropriately supervise a 32-year-old mentally disabled woman on a facility outing where she choked to death.
C.W. as administrator of the estate of L.E. v. Burnham Terrace Nursing Center
- $760,000 verdict against a nursing home doctor who failed to respond to signs and symptoms of a bowel obstruction, leading to the death of a 67-year-old resident with Alzheimer's disease.
M.B. for E.S. v. ManorCare South Holland
- $750,000 nursing home neglect settlement against ManorCare South Holland for the daughter of an 82-year-old nursing home resident who developed a deep pressure wound that took over two years to heal. She also became malnourished and immobile during her brief stay at the nursing home.
L. S. v. Glenview Terrace Nursing Center
- $750,000 settlement against a Glenview nursing home for the family of an 80 year old Parkinson’s nursing home resident with dementia who developed Stage IV pressure sores, dehydration and malnutrition resulting in hospitalizations and death.
C.G. v. Avenue Care
- $750,000 settlement against a nursing home for an 86-year-old who developed pressure sores resulting in an amputation.
P.H. v. Countryside Care Center
- $750,000 settlement for a 77-year-old nursing home resident who fell, suffered a subdural hematoma, and died.
L.S. v. Glenview Terrace Nursing Home
- $750,000 settlement against a nursing home for an 80-year-old who was malnourished and developed pressure sores, resulting in death.
K.C. v. Confidential Nursing Home
- $750,000 nursing home fall settlement for the daughters of an 89-year-old woman who died from post-operative complications after falling in the defendant facility. Our client's mother was left alone in the bathroom, and she fell, suffering a left femur fracture that required surgery.
T.O. for B.O. v. Kenwood Healthcare, Warren Park Healthcare and an Undisclosed Nursing Home
- $715,000 nursing home settlement for a 74-year-old Chicago woman who died from malnutrition, dehydration, pressure sores and infection after receiving substandard care at three Chicago nursing homes.
D.M. for D.M. v. Prairie View Care Center
- $700,000 record settlement against a Coles County nursing home for a 43-year-old man who developed a Stage IV pressure ulcer that led to a deterioration in his overall condition and contributed to his death.
M.J. for H.E. v. Manorcare at Oak Lawn
- $700,000 nursing home neglect settlement against the Oak Lawn, IL nursing home for the death of a 72-year-old woman who suffered pressure ulcers, malnutrition, dehydration and sepsis while residing at the facility.
D.C. FOR J.C. v. BALMORAL HOME, INC.
- $700,000 settlement against a nursing home for a 63-year-old resident who suffered a fractured femur, malnourishment, dehydration and a Stage IV pressure ulcer.
E.P. as administrator of the estate of A.P. v. Oak Lawn Pavilion
- $700,000 verdict awarded when an 82-year-old resident with Alzheimer's disease wandered out of the nursing home and was struck by a car, sustained a leg fracture and ultimately died.
L.M. for A.J. v. Mercy Health Care Rehabilitation Center
- $690,000 nursing home settlement on behalf of the family of an 87-year-old resident who suffered a right femur fracture, skin breakdown and a bone infection which led to her death.
M.I. for C.Z. v. Hampton Plaza Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- $675,000 nursing home burn injury settlement for a 67-year-old resident who died from severe burns after her clothing caught fire while she was trying to smoke in her bathroom. Staff failed to create a care plan to address her unsafe smoking behaviors, and failed to provide adequate supervision to prevent accidents.
P.B. for G.B. v. St. Francis Nursing & Rehab
- $665,000 nursing home settlement for the surviving family of a man who suffered a serious brain injury in a fall at the defendant facility. His injuries contributed to his death six days after his fall.
D.W. for P.S. v. All Faith Pavilion
- $650,000 nursing home settlement on behalf of an 80-year-old Chicago woman who developed infected pressure sores as a result of negligence on the part of staff and her attending physicians.
B.C.. v. HRC Manorcare at Libertyville
- $650,000 settlement for a 64-year-old McHenry County woman who developed infected pressure sores and a bone infection that required prolonged long term care stay and surgery.
R.H. v. The Renaissance At 87th Street
- $650,000 settlement for the family of a 76-year-old nursing home resident against a Chicago nursing home for failure to appropriately prevent and treat pressure ulcers resulting in gangrene, bilateral leg amputations and death.
M.S. for E.O. v. The Imperial Grove Pavilion
- $645,000 verdict plus attorneys' fees for the family of an 81-year-old man who suffered a serious brain injury after falling out of his wheelchair at the defendant nursing home. He later died from complications linked to his injuries.
J.K. for J.K. v. Confidential Nursing Home
- $600,000 settlement for a 75-year-old who suffered a deep tissue injury during an improper transfer at the defendant facility. The wound went untreated and became infected, and eventually required our client to undergo an above-the-knee amputation.
C.B. v. California Gardens Nursing and Rehabilitation, HRS Home Health et al.
- $600,000 settlement against a home health agency and nursing home for our 54-year-old man who required a below-the-knee amputation after his care providers failed to prevent pressure sores on his leg from deteriorating and failed to properly treat his injuries.
S.J. v. Dawson Nursing Home
- $600,000 settlement against a nursing home and hospital for a 71-year-old man who developed Stage IV heel pressure sores, resulting in amputation.
B.H. v. Alden Wentworth Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- $600,000 settlement against a nursing home in death of a 46-year-old disabled woman who developed multiple infected pressure sores, resulting in death.
V.B. for S.B. v. Evergreen Healthcare Center
- $575,000 negligence settlement against an Evergreen Park, IL nursing home for the family of an 88-year-old woman who developed multiple bed sores at the defendant facility. The sores worsened and her condition deteriorated, causing her death five months after she was first admitted to the facility.
Estate of Jane Doe v. Unnamed South Suburbs Nursing Home
- $570,000 settlement for the family of a 99-year-old woman who died from compressional asphyxia after her neck became entrapped between her bed rail and mattress at the nursing home.
J. P. v. Lexington Health Care Center of Streamwood
- $510,000 settlement against a Streamwood nursing home for the family of a 78-year-old resident who repeatedly took off her personal alarm, fell on her way to the bathroom and fractured her hip and died four months later from heart problems.
J.F. for J.F. v. Berkshire Nursing and Rehab Center
- $500,000 pressure ulcer settlement for the family of a 93-year-old man who died after developing infected decubitus ulcers at the facility as a result of nursing home negligence. Staff failed to provide him with the appropriate pressure relieving devices to prevent pressure sores from forming, and failed to properly assess his skin condition or treat his pressure ulcers once they developed.
V.C. for G.H. v. Crestwood Care Centre
- $500,000 nursing home bed sore settlement on behalf of a former resident who developed a number of infected bed sores at the facility. These injuries caused her overall physical and mental condition to deteriorate.
L.F. for T.W. v. Glenwood Nursing Center
- $500,000 nursing home neglect settlement for the family of a 69-year-old resident who died as a result of developing numerous pressure ulcers, a sepsis infection, and suffering dehydration while under the facility’s care.
J. S. v. Manor Care of South Holland
- $500,000 settlement against a South Holland nursing home for a nursing home’s failure to treat corneal abrasion and dental problems of 74-year-old resident which resulted in the loss of eye and multiple tooth extractions.
M.M. for D.J. v. Glenshire
- $500,000 settlement for the family of a 47-year-old nursing home resident who choked to death after the nursing home failed to provide him with a proper diet or supervise him during meal time.
A.R. for I.R. v. Claremont Rehab and Living Center
- $500,000 settlement against a Buffalo Grove, IL nursing home for the family of an 89-year-old resident who died as a result of the nursing home's failure to treat his sacral pressure sore or prevent it from worsening.
J.M. v. South Shore Care Center
- $475,000 settlement against a Chicago nursing home for its failure to obtain final lab report for urine culture of 82-year-old resident and notify the doctor of sensitivity findings resulting in patient remaining on an antibiotic which was resistant to infection, urosepsis developed and the resident died.
A.P. for F.B. v. International Nursing and Rehab
- $410,000 settlement for a resident who suffered from dementia and was physically and sexually assaulted on one or more occasions by another resident of the defendant facility.
T.H. for A.H. v. Avenue Care Center Inc.
- $400,000 nursing home neglect settlement against a nursing home for the family of a 50-year-old man who died as a result of the nursing home staff's failure to properly monitor his blood sugar levels or notify his physician when his condition changed.
B.W., administrator of the estate of I.H. v. Baptist Convalescent Center, Inc., et al.
- Confidential settlement amount for a nursing home resident who asphyxiated and died after becoming entrapped between her mattress and bed rail. Her bed alarm was found unplugged, and the required alarm mat was missing. Levin & Perconti was asked to co-counsel this out-of-state nursing home neglect case by a referring attorney.