Burn Injuries in Nursing Homes
At Levin & Perconti, our legal team has handled all types of nursing home negligence cases throughout the city of Chicago and Illinois as a whole, including many cases that have involved residents suffering burn injuries through the result of neglect on the part of facility staff.
Residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities depend on the facility staff to assist them with many day to day activities, such as moving around the facility, assisting them at meal times, and bathroom and personal hygiene needs. It is an unfortunate fact, however, that many nursing homes are woefully understaffed, and in these situations even the best nursing home employees will have trouble providing the proper levels of attention to every resident under their care. In nursing homes that allow their staff to be stretched so thin the staff members are not capable of doing their jobs as they should, and consequently the possibility that residents will have accidents and be injured increases greatly.
In situations such as these, burn injuries due to the negligence of the nursing home are not uncommon, and some of the more frequent examples involve things like:
- Residents burned in scalding bath water or showers.
- Residents burned by hot water spills.
- Residents burned by excessively hot food or drinks.
- Residents burned while smoking without necessary supervision.
- Residents burned in fires at nursing facilities.
If a resident in a nursing home is hurt by a serious or fatal burn injury because of nursing home abuse or negligence, the resident and their family have the right to seek to hold the facility and its staff accountable for their wrongs. Nursing home lawsuits don’t just help victims of abuse and neglect recover compensation for their damages, but also act to send a message to nursing home and extended care facilities that the law will protect seniors, and see to it that abuse and neglect will be punished.
At Levin & Perconti, our expert legal team has successfully recovered compensation for nursing home residents who have suffered serious burn injuries in Illinois facilities. Some of our recent success stories include:
- $1.5 million settlement for an 87-year-old resident suffered burns to her buttocks after being placed in a sitz bath in which the water was too hot.
- $1.5 million settlement against a nursing home for violating the Nursing Home Care Reform Act by failing to monitor a resident's cigarette smoking, leading to severe burns and death.
- $900,000 settlement against a nursing home whose failure to monitor a 58-year-old wheelchair- bound residents’ unauthorized smoking caused the resident to sustain severe burns, resulting in death.
- $675,000 settlement for a 67-year-old resident who died from severe burns after her clothing caught fire while she was trying to smoke in her bathroom.
In any legal proceeding time is of the essence. If you believe that a loved one has been the victim of elder abuse or neglect in a nursing home or extended care facility it is important that you act quickly to protect your rights. Contact us online or call us at 877-374-1417 or 312-332-2872 to speak with an experienced nursing home lawyer about your potential case. All consultations are free and you will not pay us fees unless we recover compensation for you.