Michael F. Bonamarte, IVPartner
- Jury Awards $12M for Failure to Diagnose Lung Cancer
- Jury Awards $7M for Wrongful Death in Escape from Ambulance
Michael Bonamarte IV is a skilled and passionate attorney who has achieved outstanding results in a number of high-profile nursing home, wrongful death, medical malpractice and personal injury cases. His commitment to his clients is rooted in a family legacy of love of the law and meaningful service to those in need, with a special respect and admiration for the elders that our society so often fails to honor.
Michael enjoys golf, basketball, running, yoga and spending time with his wife, Julia, and their daughter Gabriella Grace, “GG,” who is almost three years old. He was raised in Highland Park, a community his family has been dedicated to serving for generations. His great grandfather was a fingerprint expert with the Highland Park Police, and his grandfather served as the police chief for 38 years. Michael’s father was a Lake County attorney who represented elders in probate transactions. With a legacy like that, it is only natural that Michael IV would thrive in leadership roles and pursue work that made a difference in people’s lives. After a successful high school football career as captain and starting varsity quarterback at Highland Park High School, Michael earned his B.S. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, graduating with academic distinction. In 2005, he graduated from the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, where he earned a place on the dean’s list during his second and third years. He joined Levin & Perconti as an associate attorney in August 2005 and in March 2014 was named Partner.
Michael is an effective and diligent attorney. In 2017 Michael and associate A.J. Thut obtained a $2.7 million jury verdict for the estate of a 67-year-old man who died from complications related to a fall at Southpoint Nursing Home on Chicago's southside.
Michael also played a crucial role in a $7.5 million Illinois Record Jones Act Settlement recovered on behalf of a boat worker who was injured in an explosion. He has also recovered a $4.75 million medical malpractice settlement, a $2.325 million settlement of a pressure ulcer case against a Chicago assisted-living facility, a $1.8 million medical malpractice verdict, a $1.4 million settlement in a nursing home pressure sore lawsuit and a $1.25 million medical malpractice settlement against a dialysis center for its staff’s failure to monitor a resident’s dialysis catheter.
Even in his first jury trial, Michael, who sat second-chair to Steven Levin, achieved a $2.9 million verdict for the family of a deceased 57-year-old nursing home resident who suffocated due to the home’s negligent care of her tracheostomy tube. This was a record verdict in a Cook County nursing home case.
In addition to these settlements, Mike settled a construction accident case for $1.5 million, a $1 million nursing home pressure ulcer settlement and a premises liability/wrongful death case for $975,000 for the family of a young man who fell from a Chicago porch railing. He also achieved a record settlement of $700,000 in a case against a Coles County, IL, nursing home. Mike has also recovered a jury verdict of $552,000 for his client for a fall and ankle fracture suffered during physical therapy at a nursing home.
Along with his casework, Mike enthusiastically shares his knowledge and experience by speaking regularly to colleagues and community organizations, including the American Association for Justice, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education. Mike has given speeches on nursing home litigation as well as deposition strategies. He has also made presentations on nursing home abuse to Chicago-area senior organizations and Illinois aging professionals.
Mike is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association, American Bar Association, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Secretary of the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group and the Justinian Society of Lawyers. He was recently named President of the Justinian Society and also writes the verdicts and settlements section the organization's newsletter. Additionally, Mike is a member of the ISBA's Young Lawyers Division Council and also served on the board of directors for the River North Business Association.
In September 2010, Michael was honored as one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch,” and he has also been named an Illinois Rising Star by Super Lawyers in every year since 2011. Mike was honored with an award for Trial Lawyer Excellence for the Highest Reported Illinois Verdict in a Nursing Home Malpractice case.
Michael is president and founder of the Michael F. Bonamarte III Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness and funding research on the treatment and prevention of strokes. Michael founded the organization in memory of his late father, Michael F. Bonamarte III, who passed away in 2006. The Foundation has raised over $60,000 since its inception.
Michael was named as one of the Law Bulletin Publishing Company's "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" in 2010. This honor is awarded to forty of the most talented young lawyers in the state for their outstanding work on behalf of clients, their efforts to advance the legal profession and their community service. Click on the link to view Mike's "40 Under Forty" profile.
J.D., John Marshall Law School, 2005
B.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2001
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2006
American Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Member, Council Member, Young Lawyers Division
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
American Association for Justice
River North Business Association
Member, Former Member of the Board of Directors
AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group
Member, Named Treasurer in 2014
- Strafford Nursing Home Depos Webinar, "Deposing Nursing Home Staff and Corporate Representatives in Nursing Home Injury Cases." April 20, 2017. CLE Webinar.
- Evergreen Park Public Library, "Arbitration in Nursing Homes & Signs and Symptoms of Abuse and Neglect." October 22, 2016. Evergreen Park, IL.
- American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group, "Don't Forget the Deposition," CLE Program: Issues Often Missed in Nursing Home Cases, July 11, 2015, Montreal, Canada.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, “Expert Witnesses-When and How to Depose Them and How to Take a Good Deposition," Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, February 6, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- The John Marshall Law School, Cultural Considerations in Nursing Homes. March 25, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- "Nursing Home Neglect –Medical Malpractice – Personal Injury," LULAC of Lake County* Legal & Insurance Workshop. March 12, 2014, Waukegan, IL.
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association 49th Annual Institute, Nursing Home Litigation - How to Take Key Depositions in a Nursing Home Lawsuit. November 2013, Indianapolis, IN.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Update and Review Seminar, Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Litigation Review. October 14, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Kentucky Justice Association Nursing Home Seminar, Taking Depositions to Win The Case. May 31, 2013. Lexington, KY.
- American Association for Justice, Nursing Home College: Depositions. May 10, 2012. Washington, DC.
- The John Marshall Law School, Personal injury in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. April 2, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Department on Aging 2011 Elder Rights Conference, The Role of the Private Attorney in Enforcing Elder Rights through Litigation. July 7, 2011. Chicago, IL.
- Lake County Bar Association Meeting The Importance of Serving Vulnerable Populations September 22, 2010, Waukegan, IL.
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys National Telephonic Seminar Personal Injury Actions on Behalf of Elderly Populations July 7, 2010.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Rights and Remedies Seminar Nursing Home Litigation. April 10, 2010, Oak Brook, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association Tort Litigation Committee Meeting Complex Issues and Pitfalls in Discovery for the Tort Trial Lawyer. March 4, 2010, Chicago, IL.
- Vernon Park Church of God's Senior Council Meeting. Advocating for Your Loved One in a Nursing Home Setting. January 16, 2010, Chicago, IL, with Steven M. Levin.
- Sons of Norway Torske Club’s Fall Dinner Meeting. Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect. October 11, 2008, Des Plaines, IL.
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys National Teleseminar Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions in Elderly Populations June 2008.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Top Topics Seminar Deposition Strategies. June 8, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Personal Injury Practice Update Wrongful Death - Nursing Home Negligence. June 15, 2007, Chicago, IL and June 29, 2007, Springfield, IL.
- Deposing Nursing Home Employees and Owners in Neglect and Abuse Cases, Strafford Publications Webinar, April 11, 2018
- New Jersey Association for Justice Annual Board Walk Seminar, "Nursing Home: Proving the Case," Depositions: Using the Witnesses' Words, May 10, 2018, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
*LULAC of Lake County works in advancing the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, health, and civil rights of the Hispanic population in Lake County Illinois and across the United States
- "Attorney's Fees and Costs Under the Nursing Home Care Act after Grauer vs. Clare Oaks," ITLA Trial Journal, Volume 22, Number 1, Winter 2020.
- "Nursing Home Legal Group Looks for Ways to Improve Profession," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, December 11, 2019.
- "Two Partners Talk About Going from Student to Teacher," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, August 1, 2019.
- "Plaintiff's Perspectives," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Long-Term Care Litigation 2013 Edition with Steven M. Levin.
- "Advising Elder Clients and Their Families - Chapter 7 - Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions Under the Nursing Home Care Act,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2008 Handbook and 2012 Supplement. IICLE (2012) with Steven M. Levin.
- Steve Levin and Mike Bonamarte, selected by the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, recently wrote a brief and submitted it to the Illinois Supreme Court arguing that punitive damages, a form of punishment and deterrence, should be allowed in nursing home death cases when the conduct of the nursing home is egregious.
- "Plaintiff's Perspectives on Long-Term Care Litigation," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, and 2010 supplement. IICLE (2008) with Steven M. Levin.
- "Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions in the Elderly Population,"The Advocacy & Litigation SIG Advocate: National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (Spring 2008) with Steven M. Levin.
- “Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Actions Under the Nursing Home Care Act,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2006 Handbook, 2008 and 2011 supplement. IICLE (2006) with Steven M. Levin.
- Illinois Leading Lawyers 2017
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company's list of "40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" in Illinois for 2010
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star 2011 - 2018
- William J. Harte Amicus Reward for his work on the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association’s Amicus Curiae Committee 2011
- Trial Lawyers Excellence Award: Highest Reported Illinois Verdict in a Nursing Home Malpractice case
- Emerging Leaders by Leading Lawyers 2015, 2016