Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Too many nursing homes are cited for health and safety violations each year, and a lot of this stems from abuse and neglect. When we leave our loved ones in a nursing home or assisted living facility, we expect them to be treated with dignity and respect, and above all, for their health and medical needs to be met.
The nationally-renowned nursing home lawyers at Levin & Perconti have successfully represented residents and their families for over thirty years. As one of the most respected firms in Illinois, we have fought for justice and compensation for clients, ensuring that their rights are protected. Contact us online, or call us at 312-332-2872 or 877-374-1417 to discuss your legal options.Detecting Abuse and/or Neglect
While some signs of abuse or neglect can be detected, others can be difficult to pick up on.
Common signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse or negligence include but are not limited to:
- Malnutrition or sudden weight loss
- Frequent falls
- Pressure Sores
- Unexplained injuries such as bruises or broken bones and fractures
- Changes in behavior
- Overmedication, prescription errors, or a lack (or delay) of medical treatment
- Reports of residents wandering
- The inability of a caretaker to sufficiently explain the patient's condition and/or a lack of staffers at the facility
Reports have indicated that most abusers are not family members, although family members are a certain percentage of those who take advantage of the elderly, either through financial means, or otherwise.Track Record
Some of the nursing home abuse and neglect cases we have handled include:
- S.A. v. HCR Manor Care Homewood: $2.9 million record nursing home jury verdict against a nursing home for the family of a deceased 57-year-old resident who was suffocated due to the home’s negligent care of her tracheostomy tube.
- S.W. v. Renaissance at Hillside, Inc.: $2.8 million record nursing home pressure sore settlement against a nursing home and physician for a 59-year-old resident who developed multiple painful and infected bedsores, which took four years to heal.
- J.M. as administrator of the estate of M.M. v. Senior Lifestyle Maplewood Limited Partnership d/b/a Kingsley Place and Lincoln Square, Barry A. Rapaport, M.D., et al.: $2.3 million settlement for the family of an 88-year-old assisted living facility resident who developed severe and infected bed sores, which ultimately brought about her death. Her doctor was criminally indicted for his conduct and charged with involuntary homicide.
To learn more about our successful cases fighting nursing home abuse & neglect, click here.Contact Levin & Perconti for Help
If your loved one is living in a nursing home and has experienced any of these issues, they may be the victim of abuse or negligence. We can help you seek justice. Contact us online or call us at 312-332-2872 or 877-374-1417 to discuss your legal options. All initial case consultations are free and completely confidential.