Margaret P. Battersby BlackPartner
Margaret P. Battersby Black joined Levin & Perconti as an associate attorney in 2008 and was named Partner in 2014.
Margaret has played a key role in a number of nursing home and medical malpractice cases. Margaret is well-regarded by her clients and peers alike, and was honored by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company as one of the 2011 "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch." This award is given to 40 outstanding attorneys throughout the state for their achievements on behalf of their clients, their communities, and the legal profession. To view Margaret's 40 Under Forty profile click here.
Margaret has achieved a number of noteworthy results for clients in all types of personal injury and malpractice matters, including but not limited to:
- $17.7 million medical malpractice settlement
- $ 9 million birth injury settlement
- $7.5 million Illinois Record Jones Act Settlement
- $6 million medical negligence settlement
- $3.6 million medical malpractice settlement for the death of a 26 year old
- $3.3 million hospital fall case settlement
- $3 million medical malpractice settlement
- $1.55 million medical malpractice settlement
- $1.335 million verdict in a medical negligence lawsuit
- $1.175 million assisted living negligence settlement
Margaret is also well-known for her work on behalf of individuals and families in lawsuits involving nursing home abuse and negligence. Among her most notable results, she achieved a $1.035 million settlement in a nursing home medication error lawsuit against a Chicago nursing home and two physicians. She also settled two nursing home pressure sore lawsuits against ManorCare South Holland for $1 million and $750,000, respectively. She settled a nursing home fall lawsuit for $500,000 on behalf of an 89-year-old woman who fell multiple times while living at a Chicago nursing home and reached a $450,000 nursing home fall settlement against an uninsured Illinois nursing home.
Margaret is active in the Women's Bar Association of Illinois, the American Constitution Society, the American Association for Justice, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Illinois State Bar Association, and previously served as the ACS Chicago Chapter’s Law Firm Outreach Coordinator. Margaret was honored by Chicago-Kent Law School as Outstanding Young Alumna of the year for 2015. This award recognizes alumni who have made significant contributions to the law school and the legal community. She takes interest in mentoring law students and has spoken at several law schools about her experiences. She regularly judges law school moot court competitions and hosts students in externships.
Leading up to her tenure at the firm, Margaret graduated from Chicago-Kent Law School with honors. Before entering law school, Margaret had a successful career as a financial analyst at JP Morgan Chase in Chicago.
Margaret obtained her undergraduate degree from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan with University Honors and a concentration in Finance and Accounting. Margaret grew up in Beverly Hills, MI, a suburb of Detroit, where she attended Wylie E. Groves High School. Today she resides in Chicago with her husband Jeff, daughter Evelyn and son William.
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2008
Graduated with Honors
American Constitution Society
Chicago Kent Moot Court Honors Society
B.B.A., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2002
Graduated with Honors
Chicago-Kent Law School
Young Alumni Council since 2014, Senior Partner Council since 2016
Illinois State Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Member, Board of Managers since 2016
The American Constitutional Society’s Chicago Chapter
Board of Directors-Director of Firm Outreach
American Association for Justice
Women's Bar Association of Illinois
Member, Co-Chair of the Judicial Reception 2017
National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- ITLA Update and Review Seminar "Nursing Home Litigation" - September 2016
- ITLA Medical Malpractice Seminar, "Affirmative Defenses of Contributory Negligence and Mitigation of Damages" - December 2015
- IICLE Elder Law Short Course, " Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect" - October 2015
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, "Illinois Supreme Court Rule 213," Trial Seminar, March 28, 2015, Oak Brook, IL.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, “Depositions - How to Take a Good Deposition and Expert Witnesses - When and How to Depose Them," Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, February 6, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, “Nursing Home Litigation," Update and Review Seminar, October 13, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association's Elder Law Committee, Using Litigation to Protect Elderly Clients in Nursing Homes, May 21, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- "How Changes to the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act Will Affect Long-Term Care Abuse and Neglect Cases," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin - Law Day Edition, April 2013.
- AALNC Foum, An Overview of Brain Injury Lawsuits with Case Examination: Nissen v. Parcellano et al. April 5, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Disability Rights Consortium, Nursing Home Litigation, March 27, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- Chicago-Kent Law School, Admitted Students Program, May 21, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, 40 Under 40 Panel Discussion. April 2, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- ITLA Liens and Settlement Seminar, Special Issues in Catastrophic Cases. February 20, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Department on Aging 2011 Elder Rights Conference, The Role of the Private Attorney in Enforcing Elder Rights through Litigation. July 7, 2011. Chicago, IL.
- On January 28, 2009, Margaret Battersby introduced Professor Steven Heyman at The American Constitutional Society Chicago Chapter’s discussion on his book, Free Speech and Human Dignity. Margaret was a former student of Professor Heyman’s who teaches Constitutional Law and First Amendment classes at Chicago Kent College of Law.
- Trial Lawyer Excellence award
Jury Verdict Reporter Awards Ceremony
- Outstanding Young Alumnae of the Year, 2015
Chicago Kent College of Law
- Emerging Leaders by Leading Lawyers 2015, 2016
- Top 10 Illinois Women Emerging Lawyer, 2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Stars 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company's 40 Under 40
Member Since, 2011