Margaret P. Battersby BlackPartner
Meet Margaret—Leader, Mentor, Advocate for Families
Margaret Battersby Black is an award-winning attorney who has played a key role in a number of nursing home and medical malpractice cases at Levin & Perconti. Her commitment to her practice has achieved noteworthy results for clients in all types of personal injury, nursing home and malpractice matters. Margaret is also committed to the advancement of women in the legal profession and serves as a mentor to law students and younger lawyers. In 2015 Margaret was honored by Chicago-Kent Law School as Outstanding Young Alumna of the year. This award recognizes alumni who have made significant contributions to the law school and the legal community.
Margaret grew up in Beverly Hills, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, in a large Irish Catholic family full of lawyers and judges. She watched her father, a Plaintiff’s lawyer, spend his career helping the underdogs and the good guys, and this made a lasting impression. From a young age, Margaret embraced leadership roles in school, sports, and within her own family as the oldest child. Later, her ambition and vision helped earn her an undergraduate degree from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, build a successful career as a financial analyst at JP Morgan Chase in Chicago, and go on to earn her law degree from Chicago-Kent Law School. Family has remained central to her life, and she lives in Chicago with her husband, Jeff, and children, Evelyn and William. Margaret joined Levin & Perconti as a law clerk in 2006, was promoted to associate attorney in 2008 and was named Partner in 2014.
A list of Margaret’s successful verdicts and settlements include
- $17.7 million medical malpractice settlement
- $9 million birth injury settlement
- $7.5 million Illinois Record Jones Act Settlement
- $6 million medical negligence settlement
- $4.1 million jury verdict on behalf of an 85-year-old woman injured in a nursing home when her medications were mismanaged.
- $3.6 million medical malpractice settlement for the death of a 26 year old
- $3.3 million hospital fall case settlement
- $3 million medical malpractice settlement
- $1.55 million medical malpractice settlement
- $1.335 million verdict in a medical negligence lawsuit
- $1.175 million assisted living negligence settlement
Margaret is well known for her work on behalf of individuals and families in lawsuits involving nursing home abuse and negligence. She has secured many notable high six and seven-figure settlements in cases involving falls, pressure sores and medication errors.
Margaret is well regarded by her clients and peers alike, and was honored by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company as one of the 2011 "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch." This award is given to 40 outstanding attorneys throughout the state for their achievements on behalf of their clients, their communities and the legal profession. To view Margaret's 40 Under Forty profile click here.
Margaret was a founding member and is the inaugural chair of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Women’s Caucus for the term that runs through 2018. She is active in the Women's Bar Association of Illinois, the American Constitution Society, the American Association for Justice, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Illinois State Bar Association, and previously served as the ACS Chicago Chapter’s Law Firm Outreach Coordinator. She regularly judges law school moot court competitions and hosts students in externships.
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2008
Graduated with Honors
American Constitution Society
Chicago Kent Moot Court Honors Society
B.B.A., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2002
Graduated with Honors
Chicago-Kent Law School
Young Alumni Council since 2014, Senior Partner Council since 2016
Illinois State Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Member, Board of Managers since 2016 Founding member and Chair, Women's Caucus, 2017 - 2018 Leonard Ring Lifetime Achievement Committee, 2018 Legislative Committee, 2018 - 2019
The American Constitutional Society’s Chicago Chapter
Board of Directors-Director of Firm Outreach
American Association for Justice
Women's Bar Association of Illinois
Member, Co-Chair of the Judicial Reception 2017 Co-Chair, Annual Dinner 2018 Nominating Committee, 2018
National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
Member Illinois NAELA Chapter, Litigation Committee, 2018
- Presented at the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association's Damages Seminar: "Effective Direct Examination of Witnesses" - February 2018
- Presented at the 13th Annual IICLE Elder Law Short Course on the topic of The Late Life Litigant: The Potential Value of Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Claims for Elderly Plaintiffs, 2017
- Presented at the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association's Medical Malpractice Seminar on the topic of Opening Statements, 2017
- Chicago Bar Association's Tort Committee, "So You're Trying Your First Nursing Home Case?: Some Things You Should Know" - November 8, 2017.
- ISBA Tort Law Ed Program Panel Discussion: Ethical Considerations Regarding the Submission of Evidence and Trial Tactics- May 2017
- IICLE Elder Law Short Course, " Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect" - November 2016
- Hosted the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys webinar on "The Intersection Between Personal Injury and Elder Law.", 2017
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) May 5, 2017, "Ex Parte Communication with Current and Former Employees of Defendant."
- ITLA Update and Review Seminar "Nursing Home Litigation" - September 2016
- ITLA Medical Malpractice Seminar, "Affirmative Defenses of Contributory Negligence and Mitigation of Damages" - December 2015
- IICLE Elder Law Short Course, " Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect" - October 2015
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, "Illinois Supreme Court Rule 213," Trial Seminar, March 28, 2015, Oak Brook, IL.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, “Depositions - How to Take a Good Deposition and Expert Witnesses - When and How to Depose Them," Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, February 6, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, “Nursing Home Litigation," Update and Review Seminar, October 13, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association's Elder Law Committee, Using Litigation to Protect Elderly Clients in Nursing Homes, May 21, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- "How Changes to the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act Will Affect Long-Term Care Abuse and Neglect Cases," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin - Law Day Edition, April 2013.
- AALNC Foum, An Overview of Brain Injury Lawsuits with Case Examination: Nissen v. Parcellano et al. April 5, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Disability Rights Consortium, Nursing Home Litigation, March 27, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- Chicago-Kent Law School, Admitted Students Program, May 21, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, 40 Under 40 Panel Discussion. April 2, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- ITLA Liens and Settlement Seminar, Special Issues in Catastrophic Cases. February 20, 2012. Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Department on Aging 2011 Elder Rights Conference, The Role of the Private Attorney in Enforcing Elder Rights through Litigation. July 7, 2011. Chicago, IL.
- On January 28, 2009, Margaret Battersby introduced Professor Steven Heyman at The American Constitutional Society Chicago Chapter’s discussion on his book, Free Speech and Human Dignity. Margaret was a former student of Professor Heyman’s who teaches Constitutional Law and First Amendment classes at Chicago Kent College of Law.
- Nursing Home Injury Litigation: Common Claims, Medical Records, and Damages Assessment, Strafford Publications Webinar, December 20, 2017.
- Michigan Association for Justice, Annual Convention: Trial Advocacy - Winning Direct Examinations, May 11, 2018.
- On May 4, 2018, Margaret Battersby, founding member and chair of the ITLA Women's Caucus, organized and served as moderator of ITLA's first-ever Trial & Practice Tips Seminar held at Hilton Oak Brook Hills Resort.
- Emerging Lawyer Leading Lawyers 2015 - 2017
- Trial Lawyer Excellence award
Jury Verdict Reporter Awards Ceremony
- Outstanding Young Alumnae of the Year, 2015
Chicago Kent College of Law
- Emerging Leaders by Leading Lawyers 2015, 2016
- Top 10 Illinois Women Emerging Lawyer, 2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Stars 2012 - 2018
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company's 40 Under 40
Member Since, 2011