Levin & Perconti’s intake attorney Steven M. Sandler handles the critical first steps of meeting with prospective clients to learn more about their current situation and to determine how our attorneys can best assist them.
With more than 40 years in practice across multiple areas of law, Steven draws upon his experience to answer prospective clients’ questions as clearly and thoroughly as possible. Steven’s primary goal is help those who have experienced an injury or an injustice make the best possible decisions about how to exercise their legal rights.
Before joining Levin & Perconti, Steven was a trial attorney for a Chicago personal injury firm handling transportation, aviation, medical negligence and product liability matters. He successfully secured a number of multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for his clients. For example, in one personal injury case, Steven obtained $3.8 million for his client, a steel mill employee who sustained second and third degree burns over 80% of his body when chemicals were ignited by a demolition crew. He also negotiated a $3 million dollar award for a surgical patient whose doctor failed to recognize her respiratory distress or resuscitate her during a routine surgical procedure.
This deep experience in handling personal injury matters enables Steven to offer advice and perspective on how clients can most effectively pursue their cases, what they can expect at various points in the process and the pros and cons of various strategies.
Steven is an adjunct professor at the DePaul University School of Law teaching product liability law.
Some of Steven’s most notable achievements include:
to a passenger in a vehicle “T-boned” causing pelvic fractures, leg fractures, and cognitive loss of memory when the defendant ran a red light.
to the estate of a charter airplane passenger who died as the result of a plane crash in Michigan. The charter undertook its flight and did not divert to a tower-controlled landing field despite poor visibility.
to a sexual assault victim at a major music venue where security guards failed to protect the victim or intervene once the assault commenced.
to a passenger in a van that slid off a slippery road in Pennsylvania deteriorating weather condition causing multiple fractures and requiring surgeries.
to a driver who suffered multiple fractures when he struck a commercial vehicle that turned in front of him.
National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 1980
J.D., Honors, IIT-Chicago Kent College of Law, 1978
B.A., University of Illinois, 1974
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Illinois, 1978
- Illinois Supreme Court, 1978
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1978
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1984
- Admitted Pro Hac Vice, Indiana, 2005, 2016
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 2014
- Admitted Pro Hac Vice, Texas, 2018
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association – Panel Attorney Legal Services Plan
- Chicago Bar Association
Member Since: 2004 – Present
- Aviation Law Committee: Chairperson 2005-2006
- Aviation Law Committee: Vice-Chairperson 2004-2005, 2011-2012
- Aviation Law Committee: Legislative Liaison 2006-2007
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
Professional Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- American Bar Association National Institute on Aviation Litigation – Faculty 2015, 2016, 2019
- Tenth Annual McGill University/PEOPIL Conference on International Aviation Law: Liability, Insurance & Finance, 2017, Montreal, Canada; Panel member on Product Liability
- Chicago Bar Association – Aviation Law Committee – 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2019
- EAA AirVenture Oshkosh – Aviation Accident Litigation, 2005 – 2010, 2012 – 2016, 2017– 2019
- Presenter, Midwest Aviation Conference and Trade Show, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri; 2006
Awards and Honors
- Illinois Leading Lawyers
Plaintiff Personal Injury in 2018, 2019
- Illinois Super Lawyers
Civil Litigation as both Plaintiff and Defense counsel in 2013 – 2022
AV Preeminent Rated
Client Distinction Award, 2013, 2021, 2022
During that time, my family and I suffered the loss of my mother. Mr. Levin and Mr. Peconti were more than just our lawyers. Words can’t really express our gratitude. My family and I will always be grateful for the compassion that they showed us. I want to thank you for what you did for my family, and for always being there for us.
Margaret’s representation, guidance, and professionalism gave us the sense that we could put our trust in Levin & Perconti and the final outcome proved that to be true.
Not only were they so professional but also so caring and thoughtful. It was very difficult going over the facts in our mother's case but they were so compassionate and understanding and allowed us to be with them every step of the way. We were able to sit in on the depositions and we were really able to see how hard they worked on our behalf.
During that time, my family and I suffered the loss of my mother. Mr. Levin and Mr. Perconti were more than just our lawyers. Words can’t really express our gratitude.
They were most patient and responded timely to many questions throughout the entire process. All demonstrated professionalism and extensive knowledge of case and state laws. Their in-depth investigative work uncovered details which were unknown to us and yet sadly confirmed our suspicions. We would recommend the Levin and Perconti Law firm and especially this team.