Megan O’Connor has extensive experience counseling clients on complex medical malpractice and personal injury matters. A proven trial attorney and committed advocate on behalf of people who are injured, Megan has a strong track record of obtaining millions of dollars in settlements and awards for her clients and their families.
Driven to help others, Megan helps lend a voice to those who otherwise might not have access to justice. She guides her clients through a difficult time in their lives to secure the compensation they deserve.
Megan’s most notable verdicts and settlements total nearly $100 million and include:
Served as second chair in a record-breaking $45 million dollar verdict for the death of a toddler as the result of a child welfare agency’s negligence.
Served as second chair in a products liability trial resulting in a $10.7 million verdict.
Served as second chair in a foster care abuse case that resulted in a $19.55 million settlement.
Obtained a $6 million default judgment in a medical malpractice case involving a failure to diagnose breast cancer.
Served as third chair in a medical malpractice case, where a failure to diagnose a significant brain bleed resulted in death, that resulted in a $6 million verdict.
Served as third chair in a medical malpractice case, where a woman died during a routine endoscopy, that resulted in a $8 million verdict.
Before joining Levin & Perconti, Megan was an attorney for civil rights and personal injury law firms in Chicago where she represented children in foster care who were injured while in the care of social services, and practiced in the areas of medical malpractice, and personal injury.
Megan graduated cum laude with a degree in philosophy from North Central College in Naperville, Ill. Megan then attended Loyola University Chicago School of Law, earning her Juris Doctor and a certificate in Advocacy.
During law school, Megan was a Dean’s List student and received a CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Transnational Dispute Resolution. Megan was also twice recognized as a top oral advocate at the National Moot Court Competition for Child Welfare and Adoption Law. This is where Megan found her passion to help foster and adoptive children and families.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2012
B.A., North Central College, cum laude, 2005
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), Central District of Illinois, Southern District of Illinois and Northern District of Ohio
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, Committee Chair
- Illinois Trial Lawyer Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyer Association, Women’s Caucus
- American Association of Justice
Professional Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- “Wrongful Death- Survival Actions and Implications on the Probate Estate,” Co-Presenter for Chicago Bar Association Probate Committee, May 2021
- “Navigating Fertility Issues,” Panel Moderator for Women’s Bar Association, February 2021
- “Advocating for Foster Youth,” Presentation for American Association of Justice Conference, July 2018
- “Eyes Wide Open: The Duty of Child Welfare Agencies in Illinois to Disclose,” Trial Journal, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Winter 2013 (coauthor)
Awards and Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2017 – 2022
- Top 20 Verdicts in Illinois, 2019 #15, Estate of Myers v. Advocate Health and Hospitals Corp.
- National Law Journal Top 100 Verdicts, 2018: #50 Chicago Trust Company as Administrator of the Estate of Lavandis Hudson v. Lutheran Social Services of Illinois et. al.
- Top 20 Verdicts in Illinois, 2018 #5 Chicago Trust Company as Administrator of the Estate of Lavandis Hudson v. Lutheran Social Services of Illinois et. al.
- Top 50 Verdicts in Illinois, 2016 #9 Estate of M.K. v. American Water Heater Co.
During that time, my family and I suffered the loss of my mother. Mr. Levin and Mr. Peconti were more than just our lawyers. Words can’t really express our gratitude. My family and I will always be grateful for the compassion that they showed us. I want to thank you for what you did for my family, and for always being there for us.
Margaret’s representation, guidance, and professionalism gave us the sense that we could put our trust in Levin & Perconti and the final outcome proved that to be true.
Not only were they so professional but also so caring and thoughtful. It was very difficult going over the facts in our mother's case but they were so compassionate and understanding and allowed us to be with them every step of the way. We were able to sit in on the depositions and we were really able to see how hard they worked on our behalf.
During that time, my family and I suffered the loss of my mother. Mr. Levin and Mr. Perconti were more than just our lawyers. Words can’t really express our gratitude.
They were most patient and responded timely to many questions throughout the entire process. All demonstrated professionalism and extensive knowledge of case and state laws. Their in-depth investigative work uncovered details which were unknown to us and yet sadly confirmed our suspicions. We would recommend the Levin and Perconti Law firm and especially this team.